family crest

FREE Gledhill



family tree links

genealogical queries & links

gledhill forums:
... gledhill forum
... forum
... forum
... lloyd gledhill

interesting info...
Edward Gledhill (1811-1888 Oldham, England) & His Descendants...
Edward Gledhill (1811-1888)
. Thomas Gledhill (1856-1933)
.. Thomas Ray Gledhill (1883-1955)
... Preston & Isabelle Gledhill (1915- )
.... Michael B Gledhill
..... Dustin Gledhill
..... Ryan Gledhill
..... Cami Gledhill
.... Robert B Gledhill
..... Natalie Gledhill

. . . BACK

History of Thomas Gledhill
17Arpil 1856 - 12 Dec 1933


< Previous Page

Ancestors & Descendants of Thomas Gledhill -starting with his grandson, Preston Gledhill

(Written by his daughter Ida Belle Gledhill)

††††††††††† My father, Thomas Gledhill, was born April 17, 1856 in Oldham, Lancashire, England, youngest child of Edward and Betty Hague Gledhill.† The other children, 12 of them, are Sarah, Ellen, John Edward, Mary, William, Ann, Sophia, Betsy, Alice, Violet, Joseph, Amelia.† They lived in an England rock house that was joined to other rock houses in a ling line.† It had a large fireplace for heat, in front of which their baths were taken in large tubs.† The floors were sanded and one day a week was spent in making patterns in it of different colored sands.

††††††††††† Grandfather Edward, or Ned as he was called, was born July 31, 1811 in Crompton, Yorkshire, England.† Crompton was across the shire from Shaw, where grandmother was born on July 8, 1814.† He had blue eyes and brown hair and weighed about 150 lbs., and was 5 ft. 9 in. tall. He was quick spoken and abrupt.† Grandmother had snappy brown eyes.† She was on the plump side and wore small white caps and on Sunday a black lace trimmed one.† She was a peacemaker and always soothing grandfatherís rumpled spirits.† She smoked a long clay pipe until she joined the Church, and many times Iíve heard father say heíd like to fix it for her again as she enjoyed it so much.† Grandfather played the violin and after joining the Church became a chorister for the Manchester choir of 300 voices.† He was a stonemason by trade.† Other members of the family worked in the cotton mills and some worked in coalmines.† All the family were musical and enjoyed singing to grandfatherís violin accompaniment.

††††††††††† My father had the opportunity of going to school for 6 months in England and that was his only formal schooling.† But he was a great reader and fine penman.† He was counted as a well-read man.

††††††††††† Grandfather Edward was a Methodist and took an active part in camp meetings.† Grandmother Betty was a Presbyterian.† Parts of the children were one church and part the other.† In early 1849, grandmother was resting and she had a vision.† In it, she saw two young men with books and satchels come to call on her.† They told her of a new church that she and her husband could believe in.† Three months later two men did come to her door with the gospel.† She recognized them and told them she was waiting for them and their message.† They told her they were from Utah and she had never heard of it.† She asked them about her and grandfather belonging to different churches and they told her of the new church and she believed.† She was baptized September 3, 1849, by Wm. Schofield and confirmed by Clark Nield.† Grandfather was not baptized until September 11, 1850 by Wm. Schofield and confirmed by Daniel Hall.† Some of the children came into the church with grandmother and part with grandfather.† They kept open house for the elders.† So, father was born to parents already members of the Church.

††††††††††† In 1862, four members of the family came to Utah.† Sarah, John, Mary, and Ann.† Ellen and William died in England.† When the first four were settled here the others came with 876 saints.† The ship was the Emerald Isle and took 3 months and 12 days to make the trip.† The saints were placed in charge of Hans Jensen Hals.† An epidemic broke out on board the ship and 37 saints died, including Alice, and were buried at sea.† Many more died in New York and on the rest of the trip.† They arrived in New York on August 11, 1868.† From there they took the train and came to Benton, Iowa on August 25.† They were outfitted with wagons and came to Utah by mule team.† Capt. John A. Holm was in charge of the company of 650 people and 62 wagons.† Father was 12 years old.† Sophia died at Florence, Nebraska in 1867.† Later she was sealed to Uncle Pete Gottfredsen.

††††††††††† The family moved to Mt. Pleasant to make their home and Grandfather Edward took up his trade as stonemason.† He worked on stones for the Manti temple for a while and some for a tabernacle.† When he was in England, he was used to getting his paycheck every Saturday night, to pay bills on Monday morning.† But when he arrived in Mt. Pleasant the bishop deducted his tithing out of it first.† This hurt grandfatherís pride and he came near to leaving the church because of it.† It took him some time before he could decide to remain a member.


††††††††††† These are fatherís own words:

††††††††††† Fatherís and motherís theological history goes back to the time they joined the church.† My grandfatherís name was John Gledhill and grandmother was Sarah Whittaker.† Uncle James Gledhill did his temple work.† Grandfatherís name on motherís side was Thomas Hague and Grandmotherís was Betty Taylor.† Sister Sarah and I did their temple work.

††††††††††† Fatherís name was Edward Gledhill.† He was born in a little village named Crompton just across the line from Shaw where mother was born.† Father was born July 11, 1811 and died July 6, 1888.† Mother was born July 14, 1814 and died July 18, 1888.† Mother received her endowment October 8, 1862 and father May 24, 1889, and was sealed the same day.† Brother John and sister Sarah doing the sealing work and all 12 children sealed to them the same day.† John L. Ivie and Sarah McCarthy standing for them.

††††††††††† Father and mother were both religiously inclined.† Father was a Methodist, quite a devout member, taking an active part in the camp meetings.† Mother was a Presbyterian, quite devout, and getting along together in their different churches until the year 1849 when mother had a vision about her and fatherís beliefs being different and both of them couldnít be right.† Then she saw two young men with satchels coming to tell her of the right church.† For two or three months she forgot about her dream, when one day two men came with satchels and she remembered her dream and recognized the men and she told them that she had been waiting for them.† They told her they were missionaries from Utah way off in America.† She was much surprised having never heard of Utah and very little of America.† After she had fed them, her first thought was to ask them if she should join fatherís church or he should join hers.† To her surprise they told her neither one.† Having been told in her dream that these men would tell her which one she should join, never thinking but what she would join fatherís or hers, and that was all that was necessary.† But the elders preached to here the restored gospel and told her what was necessary for her to do to be saved.† After they left, she was more at sea than before and very much worried.† She asked them to come again when father was home.† They came regularly and taught them the gospel and on September 3, 1849 she was baptized, and father on September 11, 1850.† They were very energetic in their new religion, always keeping open house for the elders.† Father led the choir in Manchester conference with 300 voices.† In 1862, four members of the family came to Utah for the gospelís sake.† In the year 1868 six more came.† Two had died in England and one at sea.† The 13 children have been sealed to father and mother and all have had their work done in the temple.† They both died in full fellowship in the Church, believing we should all be reunited in the morning of the first resurrection.† Father, Mother, may I meet you in your Royal Court on High.† And may I dwell with you hoping to always appreciate what you have done for me by joining the Church and passing through all the trials since joining it in your own country and coming to a strange land for me and the others, living here in poverty and strangeness all the rest of your life for the Church of Jesus Christ.

Written by Thomas Gledhill in 1927

††††††††††† Father was 12 years old when he arrived in Utah.† They came to Mt. Pleasant to make their home.† Aunt Sarah, Aunt Mary, Aunt Ann, and Uncle John were there.† They arrived in the last part of the Blackhawk War.† Father was too young to fight but was a cow herder and stood guard for a few nights.† When he was 16 he was there when the last man was killed.† The last man was Dan Miller of Nephi, who was killed on the 26 September 1872, at a sawmill three miles east of Spring City.† The mill had been shut down because of Indians.† But a schoolhouse was to be built and Uncle Pete Gottfredson, who was married to fatherís sister Amelia, had a contract for the lumber.† So he, father, 16, Dan Miller and his boy, 13, were at the mill, also the caretaker Mr. Higbee.† This was a Saturday and they were going to town for Sunday.† The camp house was below the mill between a road and a creek.† East of the house was a pile of poles.† The Indians got behind the poles.† Later, them men saw marks in the dust where the Indians had lain to fire.† But because they were going home they did different than usual.† Uncle Pete got up at daybreak and went up to the mill.† Father went to a meadow for the horses and then yoked the oxen up.† The Millers were loaded up first and headed down the canyon, and as they rounded a patch of oak they were fired upon.† Miller was shot in the arm and the side once, in the bowels and back.† His boy was shot in the thigh and wrist.† The others had heard the shooting but thought that the Millers had shot at a coyote, so they finished breakfast.† Then they heard a wagon coming very fast.† Father said, ďThat fellow drives awfully fast up hill.Ē† But as he stopped, the man shouted, ďThere is a man shot all to pieces below this house.Ē† So they knew what the shooting was.† But they saw horses coming at full speed and thought they were the Indians trying to cut them off from the house.† But three men came to the house and they were from Spring City.† When the Miller boy was shot he tried to run to the house but the Indians headed him off.† So he had run toward Spring City and had met these men, who were already out looking for Indians who had run off some stock.† So all the men went down where Miller was.† The Indians had drug him a rod and laid his face in a large bed of cactus.† They took his gun, food, bedding, and mules by cutting the tugs.† One of the last of the horsemen had heard Miller moan so he stopped and was told Indians had shot him.† So he lifted him off the cactus and went for help.† They picked out the cactus and went to the wagon to get a bucket of water, but there was no bucket, so Uncle Pete ran to the creek to fill his hat.† He got frightened by a burned Willow and didnít get much.† The men made a litter with four poles and blankets with overalls to tie with.† Father was sent to the top of a hill to watch for Indians while they got ready to go home.† When all was ready, father drove Millerís wagon home.† Miller asked to be taken off the wagon when they were half way home.† He said donít blame the Indians they donít know any better but heís sure like to see his twin boys before he was to die.† But he died and they continued with his body to the town.† Then grandfather, Col. John Ivie, organized a hunting party but no Indians were found.

††††††††††† When dad was 19, and in 1875, he came to Vermillion to live with Uncle Peter Gottfredson, who married sister Amelia and was sealed to his sister Betsy.† Uncle Peter had been called by Brigham Young to settle on the river.† Uncle Peter built a log cabin on the spot where the old rock house stands across from the church.

††††††††††† In a short time, father was able to send for his parents at Mt. Pleasant.† They lived in a dugout until an adobe house was made ready for them.† This house was north of Vermillion and on a three-corner piece where the railroad and state road run today.

††††††††††† From 1877 to 1880, Dad freighted supplies to Pioche and Silver Reef.† He was a partner with Uncle Pete an at one time they sold cotton for $125 a ton.† They freighted hay, grain, butter, and eggs.† They did most of the traveling at night to keep the food fresh.

††††††††††† Father made many trips back to Mt. Pleasant and there he met and courted my mother, Lillie Belle Ivie.† They fell in love and were married January 8, 1882 with her father John L. Ivie and his second wife as witnesses.† They were married in Uncle Peteís log cabin.† Mother as 16 and Dad was 25.

††††††††††† They went to Mt. Pleasant to make their home and carried mail from Mt. Pleasant to Manti.† They lived here 1 Ĺ years and then they came back to Vermillion.† Dad took up 160 acres of land, some hillside and some riverbed.† They lived in a log cabin below the crossing called Rocky Ford.

††††††††††† One child, Thomas Ray, was born to them in Mt. Pleasant.† The rest of the family were born at Vermillion.† Hugh Lafayette, John Ivo, Alden Oscar, Herbert France, and Fred Ovi.† Some years later, and after his mission, Amelia May and I were born there, too.

††††††††††† Father received his citizenship papers on November 25, 1885:

††††††††††† Be it remembered that on the 25 day of November in the year of our Lord 1885 Thomas Gledhill, late of England in the Kingdom of Great Britain, at present of Vermillion in the territory aforesaid appeared in the Judicial District Court of the U.S. in the Territory of Utah and applied to the said Court to be admitted to become a citizen of the United States of America, pursuant to the requirements of several Acts of Congress in relation thereto.† And the said Thomas Gledhill having thereupon produced to the Court such evidence made such declaration and renunciation and taken such oaths as are to be required by law, there upon it was ordered by the said Court to be that the said Thomas Gledhill be admitted, and he was accordingly admitted by the said Court to be a citizen of the U.S. of A.

In testimony whereof the seal of the said Court is hereunto affixed this 25 day of November and in the year of our Independence the 110.

††††††††††† A.C. Emerson, Clerk

In 1888, July 6, his father, Edward, died.† And at the funeral, mother caught pneumonia and dies 12 days later, July 18.† They had lived in Utah 20 years.† Father and Aunt Mary G. Barton had their temple work done May 24, 1889.

††††††††††† When Fred was 11 days old, father left for a mission to England.† Uncle Oscar Ivie left, too.† They had 2 days for preparation.† This poem was given at their party:

†††††††††† Brothers and sisters, dear friends one and all,

††††††††††† Weíve met here tonight your attention to call

††††††††††† To these brethren the time from when us take leave,

The gospel to their hearts more closely to cleave.

From wives, children, and friends they sadly depart

The thought of obedience foremost in their hearts.

To leave all thatís dear in their own mountain home

And go far away among strangers to roam.

With Him for dependence in good or in ill

They trust all to God, His promises to fill.

That their families will be blessed with food and with clothes

That the destroyer will pass by them as it did those of old.

That the good spirit of heaven their stay will remain

And help them through trials their faith to maintain.

For the support of their families is indeed quite a load

Added to our dear sistersí already difficult road.

But how bravely they shouldered and carried it on.

Oh! Tell it who will thereís no mortal who can

Only that the seeing eye of our Creator above

Can tell what they suffered for His divine love.

O bless them, we pray thee, for their patient endurance

And bless their dear husbands for their love of Thy work

We thank thee dear father for guiding their labors.

We thank thee for these who have come from afar.

May the gospel seeds sown never cease to spring upward,

May the gospel flowers bloom sweetly, the fruit ripen in love

And may the glad tidings that they have resounded

Gather many to Zion to praise God above.

And again we feel thankful, We have them now with us.

We praise him that the lives of their families are spared

And that we will meet tonight and with one heart rejoice

In thanking our maker for the gospel weíve shared.

(Written by Alice Gottfredson, 2nd wife of Peter Gottfredson)

Dad went on his mission from Salina on September 13, 1892, from Salt Lake on September 17, 1892 and left New York on the ship ďWisconsinĒ on September 29, 1892 at 10am of a Sunday morning.† It was 6125 miles from Salina to Manchester, England, where he labored.

A promise given to him in his Patriarchal blessing was that he should be delivered from perils of the great deep and ďfrom pestilence and disease,† Plagues shall be stayed up at your word.Ē† An epidemic known as Black Small Pox broke out in England, and all who had exposure were put inside a walled enclosure in quarantine.† Father was able to go in and bless these people and when he passed by people put their hands out to touch him believing they would be healed.† All the saints inside lived.

The blessing further promised that daughters would be given to him and on his return and in due time my sister Amelia May (Millie) and I were born.

When Joseph Ogden of Richfield was on a mission in England he was fatherís companion.† One day while tracting he came upon a lady who had a rather precious book.† She was a member of the Church but her husband was not and he was very bitter.† So for 25 years she had kept this book hidden from him.† She got it out and gave it to Bro. Ogden and later in their conversation he told her about his companion, father.† She had known father and his family before they left England in 1868.† So she asked for the book to be given back to her and she in turn gave to father.† It was a very early copy of the Millennial Star.

While father was gone, motherís sisters spent much time with her.† One time when Aunt Mary was there they were awakened in the night by a strange noise.† Mother lit a lamp and they looked around the cabin and were very surprised to find a young skunk in the room.† Neither dared to put foot to the floor, but Aunt Mary crawled on the bed and chairs till she came to a cupboard to get an egg.† She broke it in a saucer and put strychnine on the egg.† They she placed it on the floor and made her way back to the bed to wait for the skunk to eat it up.† It finally did and soon died and after that the cat hole was plugged a little better, so no more got in.

Mother had 6 boys to see to and a farm to keep going for food and money to send to father.† One time she was down to her last $5.00.† Dad needed money.† The boys needed shoes and she owed tithing.† She started to town to buy shoes in an old horse cart.† But after several miles, she decided to pay tithing and turned back.† It took all the strength she had, and I imagine the boys were real disappointed.† But next morning when she awakened she found a sack of clothing and a sack of flour on her doorstep.† Also in the top was a note with money in it from a friend.† So great was the thanks and the rejoicing.

Dad returned from his mission on the ďCity of RomeĒ with 9 elders and 48 immigrants and other totaling 350.† His converts, Steve and Eliza, Betty, Tom and Alice Nelson; Jimmy Walker family and the Sainsbury family were his converts too.† Tom and Alice lived at our home for some time.† One day she came to the house with a whole lap-full of little kittens she had found, but the sad part was they were al skunks and Tom Nelson got real scented before they were taken care of.†

Two of his missionary companions were Joseph Ogden of Richfield and G.T. Humphrey of Salina.† Another one was Miles A. Romney, whose father baptized Thomas Gledhill when Miles was on a mission in Oldham.† Preston is his father-in-law.

At Fish Lake, upon his return, he took up farming and was appointed forest ranger from 1895 to 1900.† He had a heard of cows and a family named Russell milked them and made cheese at Seven Mile.† We spent summers up there, too.† We slept on pine bough beds, and father was a good bake over cook.† We picked berries and caught fish with our hands in the creeks and at Fish Lake.† Grandpa Ivie was Fish Commissioner there.

My earliest recollection was of going to the lake with Dad and getting as far as Buurville where we met Grandpa Ivie.† His second wife, fatherís sister Aunt Violet, had died with a heart ailment and they were bringing her body down for burial.† This was in 1900.† I was four years old.

The grandpa and Luta their girl came to live with us.† Luta died at our house, the rock one across from Vermillion Church, on May 31, 1903.† Grandfather Ivie used to tell us Indian and bear stories in the twilight.† He and Dad had many a political argument.† Dad was Republican and he was Democrat.† Grandfather died March 10, 1909.

Dad and Mother made many trips for their time.† They went to Canada in 1910 to visit Aunt Sude, motherís sister.† In 1909 they went to Chicago to see Rayís graduation as a Doctor of Medicine.† In 1917 they went to California, just after Bert went in the army in late November.† They went with Uncle Tom and Aunt Ida Stanford.† Then, after Fred moved to California they had several trips there as well as to Idaho.

On December 10, 1916 Bertís wife, Maggie, died of kidney infections at Salt Lake and left a month old baby, Millan.† Then Bert went in army November 4, 1916.† Bert was killed at Boves, France, June 14, 1918 of shrapnel from artillery fire.

On August 30, 1917, the third son, Ivo, died from complications after an appendix operation.† His wife, Jane, died of flu January 8, 1918, and their children came to live with Dad and Mother.† That Spring they moved to Richfield.

On April 8, 1924, Lafay was killed from a horse and wagon runaway.† All these deaths were very hard from Dad and Mother to take.

Dad was doorman at the State Senate for a few years, 1922 to 1926.

After a long time of illness mother left us May 1, 1929.† My own husband died March 2, 1928, so when mother died† I stayed at fatherís too.† He was never happy at her passing.† During that summer he suffered a bit of a stroke so that he drug this one leg a bit and he could not tell when he had anything in his hand.† He was only bed fast four days before his death December 12, 1933 of Uremic poisoning.

One time he was sick with Pneumonia.† Ray and Bishop Wm. Seegmiller administered to him.† As they left the room Dad Said, ďWho was that man with them.Ē† We told him no one, but he always believed the other one was a heavenly spirit who had assisted.† He was soon well.

He loved fine horses and was well known for them.† He always timed his trips to town and if it was in the little buggy he tried to make it in 60 minutes.† He was strict with the boys about the care of the horses.

Dad was baptized February 1865 by Miles P. Romney and confirmed by his uncle, James Gledhill. He was ordained a Teacher by Isaac Pierce; an Elder by Uncle Pete Gottfredson, October 8, 1882; a seventy September 17, 1892, by George Reynolds; a High Priest by Francis M. Lyman June 2, 1896, when he went into the bishopric with Jacob Gottfredson as bishop.† Later he was also in the bishopric with John Dastrup as bishop.† When Sigurd and Vermillion were one ward and the present church at Sigurd was built, he was Supt. Of the Sunday School and counselor of the M.I.A. in Vermillion.† He worked on the Sunday School Stake Board in the 1920ís.† One time, while taking a trip to Koosharem, the brakes of the car went wrong and he made the Glenwood dug way at fast clip and no way to stop until he was on level ground.

He was a devout man and his Church meant much to him.† He had faults, but they were not of his heart.† He did much temple work and got many names for the records.† I always felt if he administered to me, I was sure to be alright.

When very small, I rode the horse on the one best cultivator at the end of the row and the rest periods.† He taught me many things.† I could tell all my troubles to him easier than I could to my mother.† I have always felt his talks shaped my life.† He was quick spoken and exact.† He required obedience.† His ďnoĒ meant no, and you didnít ask again.† He whipped me once but it was my own fault.† Mother was not well but she had got out of bed to wash out hair, Millie and I, and as it dried we went out into the road where dust was ankle deep and threw dirt into the air to play it was raining.† Our hair was a mess and we got switched, but we didnít need to be told again.

In Salt Lake in March 1934, Clifford told me of being to a baptizing in his ward in California.† An old man was the janitor and as he heard the Gledhill name he came up to him and said, ďYou have a name to live up to.† You bear the Gledhill name.† It was the name of the man that baptized me back in England.Ē† Thomas Gledhill was that elder. So Cliff told him that he was the grandson and about the family.† The old man was Sainsbury and a young boy when dad baptized him.

Father and mother sang a lot.† The family was always gathered at our home after Sunday School for dinner and all spare time was spent at the piano with everyone singing.† It was the usual thing to do.† Father used to get sister Millie and I on his lap and sing:

Two little girls in blue, love

Two little girls in blue,

They were sisters and we were brothers

And we learned to love the two.




return to top






solidoakbedroom | oak furniture | oakbedrooms | oakcomputerdesks | oakrolltopdesks | solidoakcuriors | solidoakdesks | solidoaktables | solidpinefurniture | log furniture | bedroom furniture | timberdesigns | | pinebedroomfurniture